MRC Internship Opportunities
1) Forage Fish Survey Intern. The MRC conducts monthly forage fish spawning surveys at two locations in Whatcom County to characterize populations of forage fish species that spawn on Puget Sound beaches. Approximately 5 hours per month from October 2019 to September 2020. This intern will work primarily on monthly forage fish surveys, collecting and processing samples, scheduling monthly survey events, communicating with volunteers, ensuring citizen scientists understand and are following field protocols, maintaining survey equipment and documentation, and organizing sample transport to WA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife.
2) North Sound Stewards Citizen Science Volunteer Coordinator Intern. The Whatcom MRC implements a volunteer program, the North Sound Stewards Program, in partnership with RE Sources for Sustainable Communities, supporting volunteer citizen scientists who contribute to scientific research for the health of the Salish Sea. Flexible schedule to complete 150 hour internship from October 2019 to September 2020. This intern will be responsible for planning, promoting, and implementing the volunteer training program, recruiting volunteers, connecting volunteers to volunteer opportunities, and continued volunteer communications and engagement. This will be done under the guidance of Whatcom MRC Staff and the North Sound Stewards Advisory Committee, which includes representatives from MRC and RE Sources.
- Completed college coursework in one or more of the following areas: biology, ecology, environmental science, environmental studies, freshwater studies, hydrology, or related fields.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, able to work independently with limited supervision, willing to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions, have good communication skills and an interest in working with the public.
- Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver's license at time of hire and throughout employment. Background check must meet County criteria.
For volunteer coordinator internship:
- Experience with education and outreach, and Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or InDesign software preferred.
To Apply: Please visit
Questions? You may contact Austin Rose at 360-778-6286 or email@example.com
Closing Date: September 9, 2019